Sunday, June 17, 2007

To Pacifier or Not

At first, I must say, I felt pretty against using a pacifier. It seemed to me that you were just distracting your child when they wanted to eat. After talking with our pediatrician and other people (mom) I've certainly softened some on that stance. We're now experimenting with one and seeing if it works and makes sense for us. So far Adelais hasn't taken to it very much - she much prefers her mom's nipple or a pinkie finger. I'll sit with her and she will happily suck away at my little finger, but if I try and switch it for the pacifier she gets pretty upset. A couple of times we've gotten her to use the pacifier, but mostly she's not into it. I still don't want to use the pacifier, or the finger, in place of her eating, but sometimes it seems she is just using mom's nipple to calm herself. In those cases it seems OK. We'll keep experimenting and see.

No comments: